Friday, May 20, 2011

Growums


If your children are anything like mine then they love working in the garden.  Every year my parents grow a big garden in the back of their property.  My children love planting vegetables,   watering them,  and later on picking and eating them.  It really gets my children more interested in eating healthy,  and I couldnt ask for anything more! My oldest son even likes eating raw cucumber with a little bit of salt on it,  which is rather surprising to me,  because he is such a picky child. 

Lukily I came across a lovely little site called Growums,  who offers six different Garden Growing Kits.  Growums teaches children how to grow herbs  from seeds to harvest,  while doing something they really enjoy.  Did you know that 98% of children that grow their own vegetables eat their own vegetables!  I can believe it,  because it is usually such a challenge to get my children to eat their veggies,  but not when they grow their very own!  They actually want to eat their vegetables which is quite a change in my house!  It teaches them the value of helping the environment, and  the importance of eating healthy foods. 
Growums offers six different Gardens to choose from including:
  1. Salad Garden
  2. Herb Garden
  3. Taco Garden
  4. Stir Fry Garden
  5. Pizza Garden
  6. Ratatouille Garden
I thought that the Pizza Garden was awesome!  Who grows their very own herbs and veggies,  from  their very own garden to make their own pizza?  I bet not many of you , or maybe not any of you!  I thought about choosing the Pizza Garden to review,  but my children already love pizza,  so I thought maybe I would choose something out of the ordinary.  After reading about the Ratatouille Garden I knew it was the one!  I looked up some recipes for Ratatouille that sounded delicious and fresh, so Ratatouille it was! 

The Ratatouille Garden contains:
  1. 1 Package of Eggplant Seeds
  2. 1 Package of Tomato Seeds
  3. 1 Package of Bell Pepper Seeds
  4. 1 Package of Zucchini Seeds
  5. 8 Coco Pellets
  6. 8 Plant Tags (2 per veg.)
  7. Easy to Read Directions
The kit came in a small plastic container,  and contained everything needed to start a garden of your own,  excluding the dirt!  Each Plant Tag features a cute image of a veggie character that corresponds with the veggie being planted.  This kit is reminds me a lot of the  movie Ratatouille,  which was produced by Disney in 2007.   I am sure my children will get a kick out of planting the Ratatouille Garden,  and later watching the Ratatouille movie.  In addition to the Growums Garden Kits, they also offer a virtual world where they can interact with the characters they are growing,  then they can watch their own characters grow in their very own garden! 

One of the things I liked best about the kit is that it comes with Coco pellets that are easy to work with because they expand when wet.   The kids helped me place the seeds in each pellet and added a container full of water.  We then placed a stake in each pod,  so we can keep trach of which plant is which.  We just planted it yesterday, so I wil have to keep you updated on how it turns out!  I plan on making Ratatouille as soon as the garden is ready to be harvested. 

You can also use Growums Kits as a great way to Fundraise for your cause or organization.  Each Growems kit costs ten dollars.  Your organization will then earn a generous amount.  It would be best if you set a goal for each child to sell at least 15 kits. Overall,  they are a cheap way to teach children the importance of healthy eating and spending family time together.  I can't wait until our little garden starts sprouting!

*Disclaimer- I received a garden kit to review.  In no way did this alter my opinion of their products.  All of my opinions are one hundred percent honest and true.*

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Thanks for the follow, following right back :)

Jackie

http://adime-atatime.blogspot.com/

Mary @ Redo 101 said...

Hi, your blog has great information and is very attractive - thanks for sharing with us. I'm "following" you from the Social Hop and would love a follow back if you have time -

thanks,
Mary @ Redo 101

Unknown said...

These are so cute and what a great way to get the kids involved in growing and eating their vegetables!

I wanted to stop by and say thank you for visiting and following my blog. I have returned the follow love.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Vickie
http://victoriasvoice44.blogspot.com

NCSue said...

Thanks for checking out and following my blog. BTW, I have a page on my site that lists more than 200 hops… some for each day of the week. Check under the header for the link to that page. I’ve also got a BlogFrog community that focuses on hops, carnivals, and memes. Go to http://theblogfrog.com/1504201 to visit & participate.
I hope you’ll visit me soon again!
NCSue

Concerned American Citizen said...

Following back. Thank you for stopping by & following. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming by Espanol para Ninos. Love your blog.
Many blessings,
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm following from the hop. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

couponmama62 said...

I'm now following you from Debbie Does Coupons weekend blog hop.
Hope your return the follow.

Jessica said...

Thanks for stopping by! Followed you earlier today!

http://www.FoundtheMarbles.com

Lesa said...

thanks for the follow! Returning it!

What a cute gardening idea.

Unknown said...

Hi,

I'm a new follower. Can't wait to read more of your blog.

Morela
ihearttoystudio.com
addsomechaos.blogspot.com

Mindie Hilton said...

Following you back, liked you on facebook too. Thanks for following.

http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

I left you a wall post on facebook tool

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm following you back :) Have a wonderful day!

http://lifestooshort328.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Following you from S&T/Follow Fridays.
Would appreciate a visit back @ http://beachmonkeys.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Karina Pacheco said...

Loving your corner of the internet :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog, coming by to return the love and follow back :)

xo Have a great weekend!!

Marissa said...

My gosh, how clever!! We have our own garden and our boys love helping, our oldest says it's His garden!! Cute idea, I'm off to check out their products! Thanks for the follow, I'm following right back!!

Melanie Mueller said...

What a fun idea!! Thanks for following my blog! I am a new follower of yours!!
Take care!!

Unknown said...

What a cute idea! I love the themed gardens. A great way to get kids excited about veggies too. :)

Stopping by from the Pink Dandy hop. You can find me at Southern Yankee Mix and
Swagtastic Mama!

mommytoalot said...

OMG how cute are they. My kids would love that. We talked about doing a garden. 3 of the children are learning about flowers and that's all they've been talking about.

JustFindIt4U said...

New follower from the Weekend Hop, going to look for you on fb too!

Elle said...

Those look like fun. Might have to get some for my grand babies.

Visiting from the Welcome to the Weekend hop. Simple Wyrdings

Dana @ The Coupon Challenge said...

Thanks for joining Surfin' Saturdays! Following you back. Have a great weekend!