Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ocean Decoration Idea


As you may remember, I recently took a trip to SanFrancisco with my husband. On our trip we visited El Pescado Beach where we had a lot of fun taking in the fresh ocean air, beautiful scenery, all while collecting lots of shells and rocks. Prior to visiting the ocean, my mom recommended that I bring home some shells and sand to make a special decoration. I thought it was a great idea, so while I was at the ocean I collected some sand in a cup, a couple rocks, and some of the most interesting shells I could find. Well, atleast the ones that were intact, that is.  My pretty ocean decoration is now sitting on my mantle, proudly showing off my beautiful memories. 

Here is what you will need to make an ocean decoration bowl, like the one pictured above:

  • Glass Bowl ( I bought one from the $Store)
  • TeaLight Candle ( I had one on hand, but you can purchase them just about anywhere including the $Store)
  • Sand
  • Shells
  • Rocks
While your at the ocean make sure to bring a cup with a lid to collect sand in, and also a small bag to collect shells and rocks. A great tip for searching for shells is to look for them by the rocks, other wise, you may just end up with pieces. 

Once you arrive home pour the sand in the bowl and place a tealight candle in the middle of the sand. Rinse and dry your rocks and shells and then place them around the candle. Your result with be a beautiful ocean decorative bowl that you can show off anywhere in your house. The cool thing about it is that you will have a decoration that is unique and a cool way to remember your great time. 

10 comments:

Masshole Mommy said...

That is simple and looks so cute! Living right off of Cape Cod, this would fit in perfectly in almost every home around here.

Monica said...

Pretty! And a beautiful reminder of warmth to come :)

Unknown said...

Very pretty! That is actually what I used 10 years ago for my center piece at my wedding!! Everyone loved it!

MikiHope said...

What a nice idea and I'm sure every time you look at it you are reminded of the trip and the ocean.

Diane Estrella said...

Really pretty and so easy to make. My mom made a terrarium from moss and rocks she found on a hike once. They are so fun to look at and remember the good times with.

Eat To Live said...

We went to the beach last summer and I ended up with some great shells, plus I have some play sand in the basement. Now all I need to do is find a pretty dish to put everything in. Thanks for the great idea.

VickieC said...

that is really cute,,nice way to display found items from a trip

Unknown said...

I love any decor that has to do with the beach, it' so fresh and fun looking!

Carla said...

Fantastic idea! I love decorations that showcase the fun places you have been (now for me to get to the ocean!!)

Angel said...

That is so pretty. I am glad that you and your husband had such a nice time. :)