Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Dragon and the Turtle


As a member of WaterBrook Multnomah publishing Group Reviewer,  i was given an opportunity to chose a book to review.  There was one in particular that caught my eye so i decided to review it.  It particularly caught my eye because of the cute characters featured in the story.  The title of the book is called the Dragon and The Turtle.  The authors names are Donita K. Paul and Evangeline Denmark.  All of the books illustrations are done by Vincent Nguyen. 

This book teaches that friends come in all different colors,  shapes and sizes. and to care for others and have patience.  "The Dragon and the Turtle" is about an adventurous turtle named Roger and a dragon named Patraig.  The name was a little bit odd to me as i have never heard that name before but i guess it is more familiar of a name then i thought!  Pronounced Paw-drig,  the name is actually a form of the name"Patrick" and means Noble.  The Turtle gets lost and the kind Dragon offers to help him find his way home.  They use their senses to help find Rogers home.  The dragon uses his Hearing,  Smells,  Feels and Tastes to guide him to the Turtles house. 

While Padraig helps Roger find his way home they end up becoming friends and learn many lessons along the way.  At the end of the book Dragon finds Rogers  home and leads them to some homemade Chocolate Chip Snappers to enjoy.  I have to say this was such a cute book that is packed full of some great lessons to teach your children.  I read this book to my seven year old and my two year old and they paid close attention to the entire story.  I really liked the fact that it included the recipe for Chocolate Chip Snappers!  I plan on making these with my boys sometime soon! 

 They do have a page that lists some bible verses , which parents can chose to include in the story or not.  I would have loved this book when i was a young girl because all of the illustrations in the book really made it come to life!  This hardcover  book is published by WaterBrook Press and its list price is $11.99.   The book is best suited for children ages 4-10 years of age.  I will read this book over and over again to my sons,  as it teaches great lessons and does not disappoint!

*Disclaimer-  WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group sent me a copy of this book to review.  In no way did this alter my opinion of their products.  All of my opinions are one hundred percent honest and true.* 



 

1 comments:

sarah said...

i love reading books to my daughter that have lessons. such great learning materials.